Ollie the Collie (cute, we know) was about to be euthanized due to paralysis, and was saved at the last minute by an intern at the vet.
KPTV reported that Ollie’s family had made the difficult decision to have their pet put down, when a mystery illness left him with paralysis so severe that he could no longer walk or even go to the toilet.
“When his mobility was shot and he was paralyzed, it was just weird seeing him just laying there on the floor, knowing he had so much more life in him,” Ollie’s owner, Falline Fate, told KPTV, “He’s been a really big part of our family.”
“They finally decided they had reached their limit and it was time to help him pass,” veterinarian Dr. Adam Stone said, “He couldn’t stand, he couldn’t walk, he couldn’t urinate, couldn’t defecate. So they had instructions to go get his bladder emptied twice a day from the regular vet to see if he would improve.”
Dr. Stone claimed the dog’s sudden onset paralysis could have stemmed from a number of issues, including cancer, trauma or a fracture.
One thing the doctor didn’t check for was a common problem facing dogs globally: ticks.
A tick was lodged behind Ollie’s ear, and discovered by a veterinary intern just in the nick of time.
"He was in the room about to get put to sleep, and it was just pure grace that the people found something and decided to check it out further," Fate said. "They have neurotoxins in their saliva that prevents nerve transition to the muscles, and that takes time to build up in the body and cause paralysis like what we saw in Ollie."
Ollie bounced back within 24 hours, "The next morning my mom opened the door and said 'look at your doggie' and he comes walking up to me, and I'm barely awake, and just smiled at me," Fate said. The owner also commented on Fox's news coverage of the incident, saying Ollie is "happy and healthy."
Awwww! Thank god this little guy is okay, the intern deserves all the credit for this excellent discovery! Check out the adorable video here.