It’s safe to say, Biggie Smalls was the absolute illest. The Gucci shades-wearing Brooklyn poet was a rapper’s rapper, heralded as one of the greatest of all times… which is why, 19 years later we’re still finding ways to celebrate Rapper Royalty. Lucky for us, there are a bunch of spots in Oz that feel the same way about The Notorious B.I.G as we do. Celebrate in style at the top spots below…
1) Butter (Sydney) Ahhhhh, Butter. Whilst some might say we basically live there (what can we say, it’s our fave?) a list about Biggie Smalls could not even exist without mere mention of Head Chef Julian Cincotta’s homage to The Notorious B.I.G aka the Biggie Smalls burger (which is basically a small burger atop of a big burger = Juicy). Any spot that Wu-Tang Clan seeks out themselves, is good enough for us #word.
2) Milky Lane (Sydney) Unless you’ve been stuck under a very large rock, the name Milky Lane should evoke a huge, physical response from within (i.e hunger pains galore). Celebrate Biggie Smalls birthday under the Bondi spot’s Last Supper mural (‘sup Biggie, Drake, Tupac and Snoop) whilst devouring a juicy burger/mac cheese croquette/churro bowl.
3) Boombap (Melbourne) A sambo shop with a hip-hop spin? Happy bloody birthday, Biggie. Boombap sticks out with its retro style in a district dominated by high-rise offices, with vinyl sleeves from golden-age hip hop acts, hundreds of cassette tapes and a graffiti mural covering its walls. Bonus points for the hip-hop blaring through the hi-fi.
4) Shucked Oyster Bar (Sydney) While this spot might be a top-notch oyster bar in the ‘Nulla, erase any preconceived expectations of hoighty-toighty champagne-lovers staring down their noses at you. Think more tables of burgers, fried chicken and cocktails along with patrons enjoying hours and hours of Biggie Smalls’ soundtracks and hip-hop on Fridays and Saturdays.
5) Brooklyn Depot (Queensland) Inspired by Old Brooklyn, the premise behind Brooklyn Depot is handcrafted burgers, hot dogs and OTT desserts fit for hip-hop royalty. Reminisce about Brooklyn’s Finest (head nod to you Jay Z, too) whilst downing a Double waffle ice-cream sandwich, Caramel pecan brownie or a Thick handspun milkshake.