Unless you’re a major germaphobe, you’ve definitely dropped a chip or two on the floor, yelled “Five-second rule!” and picked it right back up and popped it in your mouth.
But is it really ok to eat food that’s been dropped on the floor, even if it was just for a few seconds?
Sorry guys, but apparently not! EWWWWW. And science has proved why.
Food scientist Dr.Paul Dawson decided to test how much bacteria is transferred in five seconds compared to a long period of time.
He contaminated kitchen tiles, carpet, and wood with Salmonella. Five minutes after that, he placed food on the surface for five, 30 or 60 seconds. He then measured the amount of bacteria transferred to the food.
And so the results showed that it all depends on how much bacteria is actually on the floor, not the amount of time the food was on the floor for.
The actual surface was a major player in how much bacteria was transferred to the food, and it's not good news for those without carpet.
"Carpets, for instance, seem to be slightly better places to drop your food than wood or tile. When carpet was inoculated with salmonella, less than 1% of the bacteria were transferred. But when the food was in contact with tile or wood, 48-70% of bacteria transferred." VOM!
So maybe think twice before picking up that dropped popcorn and chowing down!