Sometimes it seems as though you need a holiday from your holiday, right? Although most trips are associated with rest and relaxation, there are some aspects (ahem, packing), which cause sweaty palms and heart palpitations. Lucky for you, we’ve round up twelve of our fave, foolproof travel hacks to make your next trip a little less flighty (pardon the pun).
1. Wrap it up: Use a free shower cap from your hotel to pack shoes in. After your massive trek up Runyon Canyon, this will stop the sandy soles of your shoes from touching any of the clean stuff in your suitcase.
2. To fold or roll? When packing the eight outfits you plan to wear to Chateau Marmont in the hope you’ll see Brangelina, roll away. Rolling your clothes is a great space-saving and wrinkle-reducing option for all the pretty things you plan to pack.
3. iPhone-gettable: If you forget your wall plug (which let’s face it, we all have), charge your i-anything using the USB slot on the back of your hotel TV.
4. Stealthy hydration: Since you can’t bring water bottles through airport security, bring an empty one to fill up once you’ve passed the pat down.
5. Roaming off: Jumped off the plane at LAX with a dream but no cardigan (and need to buy one ASAP as it’s a little chilly?) Use the hidden offline feature of Google Maps to access Rodeo Drive without switching on global roaming.
6. The ultimate knot preventer: For tangle-free jewellery during travel, unclasp the chain and thread through a plastic drinking straw before reclasping at the other end.
7. Smells… great! Fed up of that stuffy suitcase smell while travelling from extravagant place to extravagant place? Tucking dryer sheets into your luggage will give clothing a fresh-from-the-dryer scent upon arrival.
8. That’s gotta hurt: To limit the number of razor nicks received while rummaging through the ‘ol travel pack, secure a binder clip to the sharp part.
9. All that sparkles: Tiny things never seem to have a ‘place’ in suitcases, right? To avoid losing your limited edition LV clasp, keep all your hand candy in a pillbox. Not only does it make it more difficult to lose your bits, it also keeps everything organised and tangle-free.
10. Oh-so fragile: Whether your luggage is full of faux-fur vests or multiple Ferragamo clutches, best to tag your bag as ‘fragile’ to avoid stroppy bag-handlers.
11. Keep it together: Repurpose your empty Chanel sunglasses case by using it to carry all of your charger cables. Not only do you rid yourself of empty boxes, but it’s also the perfect way to keep small cords untangled.
12. Beat the bobby pin monster: Do your hair a favour and store all of your loose bobby pins in an empty Tic Tac container while you travel. Not only will you feel organised, but you'll also smell minty fresh (which is never a bad thing, right?).
This article originally appeared on Girlfriend.